8.1.11

Alehouse Cowgirl

I'm not going to lie -- I love pigtails. But I'm always afraid of making a messy part in the back (since I'm not that NYU professor who implanted the camera in the back of his head), and/or looking like Pippi Longstocking.

Totally badass kid? Yes. Fashion icon? No.




But when I saw this fresh take on braids from Elle...

Elle Fashion Assistant Kristen Shirley

...inspired by some very avant garde pigtail-esque 'dos on the Givenchy Spring 2011 runway...


...I had to try my had at this much beloved but oft maligned coif.


Certainly not as extreme, but I definitely avoided wearing the men's snap-front plaid shirt I thought about putting on to head down to a local Alehouse for fear of looking too much like a cowgirl.


The interesting thing about this tunic is that it needs to have some sort of tie or belt right under the bust, which is usually a flattering place for most women to have a belt fall. However, my narrowest part, my natural waist, is about where my hands are in that photo above. So, although I think it looks fine as is (it's a little more casual this way), it would look best if I were able to belt it at my narrowest point.


Tunic: Anthropologie
Belt: Target
Jeans: American Eagle
Necklace: self-made


4 comments:

  1. this a great take on pigtails! i'll have to try this as soon as my hair is long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually keep my hair fairly short, so I'm definitely enjoying the freedom for experimentation that longer hair brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Princess: You would look great in a paperbag, dear, so the tunic is lovely exactly where it is belted on you. LOVE the hair. I'm also a huge fan of pigtails. I pigtail my short hair sometimes but usually only at home since I look like I'm about 18 when I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your take on pigtails! I'm growing out my hair (it takes FOREVER) but this would be a fun look to try eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete